Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 47

Thread: One Light Rank?

  1. #31
    Alex
    Guest Alex's Avatar

    Post

    There are a few advantages to mastering on Beta Cam SP and then loading into the computer.

    The most important is you have a original video element that won't change.

    Should you load directly into the computer, and then though some error lose the footage and have to redigitize, even though you have the film original, the "look" the second time through will assuredly be somewhat different than the first time.

    Your time code numbers may not match, So Edit decisions lists and any saved time-line info may prove worthless should you have to recapture directly from the film.

    However, if you recapture from the video transfer of the film, you always can go back to that and it will match every time.

    The final solution may be to do a simultaneous transfer onto the Betacam SP and into your computer...and keep the BetaCam SP as a back-up.

    Your fear of going to BetaCam SP is not necessary....if you take that copy and go into the computer, you should be fine.



    ------------------
    Alex

  2. #32
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MadFor3D:

    I was concerned because that sounds like a generation of quality needlessly lost, having to then re-capture the footage from the BetaSP tape to my computer. So, in a way, it sounds like your setup might even have a slight advantage?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Well, again, the WorkPrinter wasn't intended for competition with the Rank. That said, however, it does do a pretty decent job, depending on the camera and lensing system used. Even with a multiplexor, it isn't going to be as sharp as a Rank. However, the fact that the transfer free and that you can jack with the color, contrast and sharpness as much as you want does help to offset the difference in resolution. Also, by necessity, you would be copying directly into the computer, so you would save a generation. Then, once the footage was rendered out with the corrections and the 3:2 pulldown (not necessary in PAL) you could back the transfer up on miniDV and pretty much lose nothing. Hell, back it up on a couple of miniDVs, they're so cheap. That's what I do now on all my projects.

    Roger

  3. #33
    MadFor3D
    Guest MadFor3D's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MovieStuff:
    Even with a multiplexor, it isn't going to be as sharp as a Rank. However, the fact that the transfer free and that you can jack with the color, contrast and sharpness as much as you want does help to offset the difference in resolution. Also, by necessity, you would be copying directly into the computer, so you would save a generation. Then, once the footage was rendered out with the corrections and the 3:2 pulldown (not necessary in PAL) you could back the transfer up on miniDV and pretty much lose nothing.

    Roger
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    As well, I'm thinking, since my capture card has component inputs to capture from a 3CCD video camera. Supposedly that will make a difference in the color as well...? But how much?

    As for the pull-down in NTSC. Can't you just adjust the audio track? Or does the film actually appear to be playing sped up at 30fps?

    -M

    ------------------

  4. #34
    MadFor3D
    Guest MadFor3D's Avatar

    Post

    Also,

    On the sample images from your Work Printer, they get darker at the corners... That's because of the projectors hot-spot? Will a multi-plexor with a diffuse insert fix that?

    Thanks,

    Madrone

    ------------------

  5. #35
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    The film will play back at 30fps if on NTSC. You must adjust the timeline speed to 80% on Premier to get the 3:2 pulldown accurately. PAL will play back correctly with no speed adjustment.

    Yes the hot spot is from copying a projected image. It is worse on some shots than others. If using a multiplexor and the diffusion insert, you should get zero hot spot.

    As far as component inputs, that would be better, though by how much is impossible to quantify here in writing. But better is better. No matter what you do, it will not be as good as a Rank. It might damn fine and pleny good enough to satisfy your needs, but it is not a flying spot scanner nor will it ever be close to that kind of resolution. However, I think it would be darn good and very convenient.

    Roger

    [This message has been edited by MovieStuff (edited October 02, 2001).]

  6. #36
    Alex
    Guest Alex's Avatar

    Post


    When it comes to resolution. Perhaps Roger can share whether resolution differences are noticed more on wide angle shots or close-ups.

    It may turn out that close-up shots look terrific, but wide shots fall off more in resolution in comparison to a rank.

    If this is true, then the type of shooting you did matters as to what film to video transfer system you choose.

    ------------------
    Alex

  7. #37
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    Well, it goes without saying that the wider shots lose detail faster. That is true whether you are Ranking or projecting. The WorkPrinter is just a projector. It is not a Rank and is totally dependent on the quality of the imaging system one uses. With a multiplexor, it should provide adequate detail and that detail is going to be more evident in the close ups than the wide shots.

    As such, I wouldn't second guess how I shot. I would second guess how I transfered the film. If you need the Rank, then you need the Rank! If the image quality of the WorkPrinter is good enough it is a cinch that the Rank will still be better, so everything is relative to the needs and the budget.

    Roger

  8. #38
    Scott Spears
    Guest Scott Spears's Avatar

    Post

    Alex, I'm surprised that you haven't pushed the Transfer Station. They do Rank transfers of Super-8 for affordable rates(I think somewhere around $175 per hour.) The Transfer Station is located in Northridge, CA. Phone: 800-350-6502 or 818-885-6501. A friend of mine just used them and was thrilled with the results, which I saw and very good.

    Scott

    ------------------

  9. #39
    Alex
    Guest Alex's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MovieStuff:
    Well, it goes without saying that the wider shots lose detail faster. That is true whether you are Ranking or projecting. The WorkPrinter is just a projector. It is not a Rank and is totally dependent on the quality of the imaging system one uses. With a multiplexor, it should provide adequate detail and that detail is going to be more evident in the close ups than the wide shots.

    As such, I wouldn't second guess how I shot. I would second guess how I transfered the film. If you need the Rank, then you need the Rank! If the image quality of the WorkPrinter is good enough it is a cinch that the Rank will still be better, so everything is relative to the needs and the budget.

    Roger
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Off point slightly. I simply asked if one would notice more of a drop off in quality in either a wide shot or close shot when comparing the workprinter to a rank.

    I would guess that if the shoot was more close-up based than wide shot based, than the differences may be minimized between the two transfer systems.

    Also, the fact that most of the footage is BW may further minimize the difference in quality.




    ------------------
    Alex

  10. #40
    Alex
    Guest Alex's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott Spears:
    Alex, I'm surprised that you haven't pushed the Transfer Station. They do Rank transfers of Super-8 for affordable rates(I think somewhere around $175 per hour.) The Transfer Station is located in Northridge, CA. Phone: 800-350-6502 or 818-885-6501. A friend of mine just used them and was thrilled with the results, which I saw and was very good.

    Scott
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Conflict of Interest. I know both Super-8 Sound and Film and Video Transfers (aka the Transfer Station)

    I don't want to pit one over the other since I know them both and respect what both have contributed to Super-8.



    ------------------
    Alex

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •